Chargrilled Salmon & Asparagus
300g asparagus spears
4 x 150g salmon steaks
salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
a squeeze of lemon juice
½ teaspoon crushed garlic
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon water
100ml extra virgin olive oil
wasabi paste, to taste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Prepare the wasabi sauce by placing in a mixing bowl the garlic, salt, egg yolk and water. Whisk in the olive oil in a very slow, steady stream until the mixture thickens. Stir the wasabi paste and lemon juice, and season with extra salt if necessary.
- Char-grill the asparagus and set aside in a warm place.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Sear the steaks on a hot grill for a few minutes on each side, leaving the salmon rare in the centre.
- Transfer the steaks and asparagus to serving plates, drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Serve at once with the wasabi sauce.